In support with Candle Safety Week 2020, we have shared below NFCC’s tips on how to safely use candles.
Tips on how to use candles safely
- Never leave a lit candle unattended.
If you leave the room, make sure you put out any lit candles and ensure they are completely out at night before you go to bed.
- Place candles carefully.
Candles should be placed on a stable surface away from any flammable objects such as; curtains, furniture, bedding and books. Candles can be easily knocked over so ensure they are out of reach of pets and children.
- Don’t move candles once lit.
Once lit, candles should not be touched unless to be put out, you should then wait until the candle has cooled completely till moving.
- Put scented candles in a heat resistant holder.
Always use a heat resistant holder with scented candles as these candles are designed to liquefy when heated to maximise fragrance.
- Burn candles in a well-ventilated room, out of drafts, vents or air currents.
This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, soot, and dripping. Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause the flame to flare.
- Make sure that you have a working smoke alarm in your property and that it is regularly tested.
A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999. Make sure that everyone in your home knows what to do if a fire should occur – practise your escape route.