In August 2018, Blackpool Council’s health and safety department received a complaint from a paying guest who had stayed in the hotel. It was discovered by fire safety inspectors that the fire alarm was switched off whilst paying guests were still occupying the building.
A prohibition notice was served which stated nobody should use the premises other than to undertake remedial fire safety works. The owner continued to allow guests to stay in the hotel and advertised on several websites.
A prosecution case file was prepared to begin legal proceedings against the owner for:
- Failing to make a suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment,
- Failing to make and give effect to such arrangements as were appropriate, for the planning, organisation, controlling, monitoring and review of the preventative fire safety measures within the premises,
- Failing to provide appropriate firefighting equipment, detectors and alarms suitable for the premises,
- Failing to ensure that escape routes and exits could be used as quickly and as safely as possible, by failing to provide adequate fire doors throughout the premises,
- Failing to provide adequate and sufficient fire safety training to staff, and
- Failing to comply with a prohibition notice.
To protect your commercial property in case of fire, whether accidental or arson; Logic Fire & Security can provide all round solutions; such as fire alarm, fire extinguisher, CCTV and Intruder alarm installation & maintenance.
Logic can conduct a fire risk assessment on your property to let you know what needs to be done to ensure your property is complaint
Call 0845 999 3222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for to find out how we can help your business.